Conic spruce in a pot: how to care at home
New Year is firmly associated with the festive tree, which is decorated every year for this holiday in almost every house. But the big tree in the apartment is not always convenient and generally troublesome enough.
Dear readers! For you, we have created communities in social networks in which useful articles and interesting ideas are published several times a day! Subscribe and get useful content in a convenient format!
- In contact with
- Yandex Zen
Therefore, miniature spruce, which can be grown directly in pots like ordinary flowers, has recently become very popular. One of the most common varieties of such decorative trees is conic spruce.
We will talk about it in today's article.
How to choose a spruce in the store?
Spruce conic (conica) - This is a decorative variety of conifers, which was specially grown for cultivation on personal plots, for use in landscaping, decorating verandas and other semi-open spaces.
Konika has a pyramidal, almost perfectly regular shape. The needles are small and quite soft. The crown of this tree practically does not require formation. In an apartment, spruce can be grown up to 25-30 cm, and if transplanted into the garden, then up to 2 - 3 m.
Choosing a conic in a store is practically no different from buying a regular indoor flower. But, if you get a tree on New Year's Eve, then you need to pay attention to several points.
- Do not buy an already decorated Christmas tree. Yes, it looks beautiful, but the tree must have undergone pre-sale preparation, including aerosol treatment for shine. Because of this, the pores are clogged, and the tree can die very quickly.
- The tree should have a healthy look. The stunted, “bald” specimens may not reach the holiday.
- Inspect plant conditions. Try finger substrate. It should be wet, but should not squish or, conversely, be dry. Shake the barrel slightly. The tree should sit firmly. Estimate the volume of the pot. It should correspond to the size of the spruce.
- Run your hand gently along the needles. Needles should not crumble en masse. Also pay attention to the color of the crown. It should be uniform, bright and juicy.
TOTAL When buying conic spruce in a store, choose healthy specimens without decorations and processing.
Caring for conic spruce after purchase
Konik spruce is an exotic plant for our latitudes. It grows in Canada and comes to Russia mainly from this country. In pots with a Christmas tree is not the soil, but a special nutrient substrate.
Therefore, after purchase, the plant is best transplanted into a good pot with normal soil. Conifers need acidic soil. You can take a substrate for violets or rhododendrons.
But here we need to make a small clarification. Konika does not tolerate transplant. In principle, if a tree is kept cool all winter and with proper indicators of humidity, it can survive until spring and in its shipping pot.
But, most likely, you buy a conic to keep it warm in the apartment at least during the New Year holidays. Then a transplant is needed, since the transport substrate dries very quickly.
The transplant is carried out by the method of transshipment. The earthen lump is not disturbing, but simply add new soil to the required level.
IMPORTANT! Konik spruce is a STREET ornamental plant. Therefore, in the spring it must be planted in the garden.
Also, it is desirable to treat the plant with a weak insecticide solution for prophylactic purposes. Suitable drugs Aktara, Fitoverm, Fufanon.
The main task of growing a Christmas tree in an apartment is to prevent it from dying before the end of the New Year holidays and to preserve the plant until spring. For this Konik need to create suitable conditions.
In winter, this species of Canadian spruce has a dormant period, which is characterized by a decrease in temperature.
Optimum - no higher than 10 degrees. Too much lower the temperature of the content is also not necessary. The roots may freeze.
IMPORTANT! If you move the tree in a warm room for 2-3 days, then nothing will happen to it, so on New Year's you can safely place a pot with a plant in the most prominent place in the room.
The most important condition that you need to observe if you want the tree to survive until spring is high humidity (65-75%).
The plant needs to be sprayed, and next to it put a saucer with water. You can use an automatic humidifier.
The plant loves light, but you should not expose it to direct sunlight. From them, burns form on the needles. Therefore, scattered light is suitable for the conic.
IMPORTANT! In order for the needles to maintain uniform color once a week, the pot must be turned. Otherwise, the needles on the other hand will crumble.
Choose a place to put
An ideal place for spruce conic is a cool balcony. But the western window sill will fit perfectly. Above all, keep the pot of plants as far away from the radiators as possible. The fact is that the drying of the soil entails the death of the Christmas tree.
On holidays (December 31, January 1, January 7), the Christmas tree can be decorated and placed in the best place.
But in general, it is advisable for the plant to pick up a cool place with high humidity.
IMPORTANT! The pot of spruce needs to be lifted above the batteries so that their heat does not dry out the roots. If you have a small plant, just place it on a cabinet or shelf.
What does it look like in the interior?
This spruce is able to decorate any room, whether it is an office, living room or bedroom. Also, the tree will fit absolutely any interior and will not look like an alien element, even with a hi-tech design.
Is it possible to decorate Canadian spruce for the New Year?
Decorating Canadian spruce for the New Year is not prohibited. You can hang small balls, tinsel, lay small cones on the surface of the pot.
Most importantly, do not treat the spruce with anything to give it a shine.
When planting spruce, it is important to follow the basic rules:
- The presence of drainage.
- Suitable soil.
- Careful handling of roots.
ON A NOTE. Do not be alarmed if in the first days after planting your Christmas tree will drop some of the needles. This is a normal plant response to a transplant. With optimal conditions, the tree will soon come to its senses.
Also, if you plant spruce in the spring, do not forget to treat it with a growth stimulator.
Spruce propagation is carried out in the spring by seeds or cuttings.
When choosing a seed method of reproduction, you need to be aware that this is a very difficult task, and it is unlikely that you will be able to grow an exact copy of the tree.
It is much more efficient to propagate Canadian spruce by cuttings.
The algorithm is simple, but requires a clear implementation of each item:
- The procedure is carried out on a cloudy day.
- As a planting material, young healthy cuttings of about 10 cm long are chosen. It is better to take branches from the middle of the tree.
- Cut branches from the trunk must be carefully together with the "heel". This is the name of a piece of trunk from where a branch grows.
- Planting stock is placed in a solution from a growth promoter. There you need to sustain the branches for a day.
- Cuttings are planted at an angle of 30 degrees to a depth of not more than 3 cm.
- At the landing site create a greenhouse of plexiglass or film. Closed cuttings should stand for six months.
- Rooting will occur in about 6 to 12 months. It all depends on the plant and environmental conditions.
- Seedlings need care: watering, top dressing, ventilation.
Seedlings will be ready for further procedures as early as next year.
Water the conic regularly, but in moderation. The soil in the pot should be moist, but you do not need to create a swamp there.
Water should be warm and settled.
By the way, the soil in the pot can be mulched to avoid premature evaporation of moisture.
IMPORTANT! Do not be zealous with watering the plant, since overflow leads to rotting of the roots. To save a tree in this case is almost impossible.
Spruce conic is very demanding on top dressing. You can use special fertilizers for conifers.
You can also apply the usual top dressing:
- In spring and summer - nitrogen and phosphorus. For example, urea, saltpeter, etc.
- In the fall, potassium-based fertilizers are used. For example, potassium sulfate.
In winter, feeding is not carried out, since the plant is at rest, and it is not worth waking it ahead of time.
Despite the fact that the Canadian conic spruce has been known for a little over 100 years, during this time many decorative varieties were developed that differ in their properties.
The five most popular varieties of spruce conic look like this:
- Elegance Compact. A variety that looks more like a bush. The needles are bright green.
- Blue conic. Differs in a blue color of needles.
- Gnome. Low-growing variety (up to 1.5 m). Needles a little more than 5 mm long.
- Maygold. It has needles with a golden tint. Compact enough. Keeps conical shape.
- Alberta Globe. The spherical variety is usually not more than 1 m in height.
Diseases and Pests
At home, conic spruce almost does not suffer from fungal diseases. Only if it gets infected from its neighbors.
Sores can overtake a tree after planting in open ground. The most common diseases:
- Schütte. This is a fungus that first affects the lower branches of the plant. The needles are covered with white coating, and then showered. You can save the tree only in the early stages of the development of the disease. Antifungal drugs are suitable. For example, copper sulfate.
- Rust also affects the needles, which takes on a red tint. This disease is better treatable. The drug shows the greatest effectiveness. Topaz.
It is more difficult to protect a tree from pests. Even in the apartment. The main enemy of spruce is green aphid. The fight against it is complicated by the fact that the insect merges with the needles.
If you notice that the tree began to turn yellow for no reason and lose needles, conduct a thorough inspection. The solution helps aphids Actars. But you will have to do several treatments to destroy adult insects and larvae.
Outdoor transplantation of Canadian spruce
With the onset of warm days, the tree is transplanted into the open ground. To prevent the tree from dying, follow the basic rules for transplanting:
- The best time for landing is the end of spring. Choose a better cloudy day.
- In order for the spruce to retain the decorative shape of its crown, plant it in the sun in a place that is securely sheltered from drafts. Otherwise, due to weathering, the crown will be deformed.
- The seat needs to be prepared in advance. At the bottom of the pit, drainage of crushed stone, expanded clay or broken brick is laid. The soil mixture should consist of 1 part sand, 2 parts ordinary soil, 1 part humus and 1 part peat. The resulting substrate is treated with Epin or Zircon.
- A layer of soil mixture is poured on top of the drainage, but so that there is room for an earthen coma from the pot.
- The Christmas tree is carefully removed from the pot and placed in an excavated hole.
IMPORTANT! Be careful not to damage the roots of the plant. Better break the pot.
- Align the tree vertically and gently cover it with earth.
- Water the planted plant. To do this, you need a bucket of water.
- Mulch the soil around, and pritenite the tree itself. This is only necessary for the first time, while the Christmas tree gets used to the new conditions of detention.
Why does the spruce turn yellow, crumble, go bald
Firstly, you need to be aware that Canadian conic is not intended for cultivation in an apartment. At home, it can be overexposed until spring, but only with full compliance with all the rules of care. If your spruce started to hurt, then most likely you have not fulfilled one of the rules:
- Cool (at least 10 degrees);
- High humidity (65%);
- Good lighting and ventilation;
- Regular top dressing.
Therefore, to prevent this from happening, it is important to carefully look after the plant.
How to revive a plant?
Unfortunately, even despite a thorough inspection before purchase and proper care, the Christmas tree may begin to wither. In this case, you can try to save the plant.
To do this, cut a few healthy twigs 8 to 12 cm long and put them in water with a growth stimulator. There is a chance that roots will appear in the spring. Then the tree can be transplanted.
Spruce conic is not just another flower in a pot. Culture is very capricious, and even the smallest mistake can ruin it. Among the most popular oversights that flower growers make, the following can be distinguished:
- If you put the tree in a heated room, do not expect it to stand dead until spring. Most likely, after 2 weeks after the purchase, it will begin to turn yellow and lose needles.
- Spruce requires regular watering and mulching of the soil. The drying up of an earthen coma is just as dangerous for a tree as excessive moisture.
- The pot with the plant needs to be rotated regularly, otherwise the side devoid of the sun will become completely unsightly.
- If you are hoping to grow a Christmas tree after the New Year holidays, then you need to transplant it into a more spacious pot and add special acidic soil.
- Gloss aerosol treatment is deadly for spruce.
- The same can be said about placing a pot with a plant in a dry room. Konika needs high humidity, but it will be difficult to provide it in the heating season.
Answers to popular questions
How to buy a Christmas tree for the holiday?
The process of buying conics is similar to buying any indoor flower. Take a healthy plant with no signs of illness. The only thing to note is that the spruce is not treated with aerosols.
Why did the tree turn yellow (bald, dropped needles)?
This can happen due to pests. Needle problems can also be caused by improper care. Check if you follow all the rules.
How to save a tree until spring?
In general, saving the Christmas trees that are sold on New Year's Eve is very difficult. This one-day, which should stand no more than 2 weeks. But there is still a chance. Move the pot to a cool place. Provide airflow (but not a draft!), Increased humidity and lighting. As soon as the weather permits, without delay, transplant it into the garden.
Where is it better to plant a Christmas tree in the garden?
It all depends on your imagination and your site. The main thing is protection against draft and adequate access to the sun.
Konik spruce will decorate your house on New Year's holidays, but in the spring it is better to transplant this tree in the open ground. There it will gain strength and will delight you with its appearance all year round.