Why do ficus Benjamin's leaves fall: reasons why dumps
Ficus Benjamin - an evergreen perennial tree or bush, one of the most popular ornamental plants in home floriculture, purifies and improves the air quality in the house. Belongs to the Tutov family, in the wild grows in tropical areas, reaches 30 m in height.
Dear readers! For you, we have created communities in social networks in which useful articles and interesting ideas are published several times a day! Subscribe and get useful content in a convenient format!
- In contact with
- Yandex Zen
Can be found in China, India, Australia, Asia. At home, depending on the care, the height of the plant can be from 1 to 3 meters. To achieve maximum plant size, you will have to spend up to 10 years. In gardening, more than a dozen varieties are bred that differ in size, color and shape of the leaves.
It is easy to experiment with it and make various compositions, you can grow a single-stemmed tree in a pot, or you can twist 2-3 plants together in the manner of a girl’s braid. In the natural habitat blooms at any time of the year with small beautiful flowers of different shades. In indoor species of ficus, only in rare cases can flowering have the form of small berries.
Why leaves fall, reasons?
Many gardeners make their choice in favor of the ficus Benjamin for its attractive appearance and variety of species. Beautiful glossy leaves of dense structure have an elongated oval shape with built-up ends. It is a fairly unpretentious plant that adapts well to new conditions. Fallen leaves of Benjamin ficus are a common problem and cause concern to plant owners. Many factors can trigger this phenomenon. If you know how to handle the bush, it will delight for many years with its chic crown.
On average, a ficus leaf lives 3 years. When the plant is healthy, several new greens grow in place of the fallen yellow leaf. If the crown falls in dozens of sheets, you need to look for reasons in the malaise of the plant.
Ficus comes from tropical and subtropical zones, where there is almost no change in the angle of incidence of sunlight. The plant is photophilous, but direct sunlight should be avoided, in which the leaves get burned and burn out. The most suitable is a bright, but diffused light, so that the green pet does not lose moisture reserves.
IMPORTANT! In the natural habitat, the daylight hours of ficus are 14 hours. Therefore, in the autumn-winter period, it is necessary to maintain the same mode using artificial lighting. The distance from the lamp to the plant should be 1-2 m.
So that the growth of the trunk and crown of the ficus is proportional, it is advisable to regularly turn the pot with the plant in the direction of the light source. The deficit of light also negatively affects young shoots - the upper part of the crown becomes thinner and smaller, and the lower part dries out. Growth is slowing down.
Change of place
By changing its location, the ficus reacts with abundant leaf fall. Moreover, acute stress causes not only moving over long distances or transplanting, but also transferring the plant from one room to another. For comfortable adaptation, you should prepare the place and suitable living conditions for the ficus in advance.
If the plant does not receive enough nutrients, this will adversely affect its growth and foliage formation. Fertilizing the soil is necessary only in the warm season, when the growing season begins. In the spring - 1 time per month, in the summer - 2 times a month.
ATTENTION! Within a month after transplanting, you can not fertilize the earth in a pot, this can lead to a burn of the roots.
By certain signs, you can understand what elements the flower lacks:
- iron - leaves are covered with age spots, turn yellow and fall off;
- calcium and potassium - the leaves are rapidly fading;
- nitrogen - growth retardation;
- phosphorus - stretching leaves;
- magnesium - the lower part of the foliage acquires an icteric color.
The dosage of fertilizer is calculated from several components: size, age and grade of flower, appearance, soil condition.
The detrimental effect on ficus is exerted not only by the low level of micronutrients in the soil, but also by their excess. During any kind of disease, it is required to suspend top dressing until the plants recover completely. Fertilizers come in 2 types -
- bird droppings;
Mineral (dry and liquid):
- industrial waste;
- chemical compounds;
- geological deposits.
Dry ones are added to the soil surface or directly to the top layer, with each watering they gradually dissolve. Liquid are used for spraying and root dressing. In the autumn-winter season, the ficus is at rest, so once a month it is possible to supply the soil with nitrogen with a low concentration, other fertilizers are not required.
The tropical climate is characterized by high humidity, this must be taken into account when caring for ficus. It is very important to observe the water balance correctly - the flower equally poorly tolerates a lack of moisture and stagnation of water in the pot. Here you also need to focus on the seasons - in the fall and winter to reduce watering, in the spring and summer to increase.
ATTENTION! The humidity in the room with the plant should be at least 50%.
In order for a pet to receive water on time and in sufficient quantities, it is necessary to adhere to the basic rules:
- Irrigate only the topsoil, as soon as the water begins to flow out through the drainage onto the stand, watering should be stopped and excess water should be removed.
- The soil should completely dry, for this you need to regularly and carefully loosen the ground so as not to damage the roots.
- Watering on certain days, so the regime will develop. 2-3 days after drying of the topsoil, irrigation can be carried out.
- Weekly wipe the leaves from dust with a damp cloth, and monthly use a spray shower.
- Water for irrigation should be softened, this can be achieved in one of the ways - boil, filter, stand, melt frozen water or add special means to it. Use only room temperature water.
With the exact implementation of these recommendations, the ficus will be healthy and beautiful.
Even a small draft will negatively affect the well-being of the flower. If the pot is on the windowsill, with the windows open, it is worth removing it to the side or covering it with something, but with free air circulation. If the fixed location of the ficus on the floor, be sure to provide it with a stand.
Ficus Benjamina reacts sharply to temperature changes. In the spring-summer period, the temperature should be in the range + 25-27 ° С, in the autumn-winter period 16-18 ° С. If the temperature is above the required, the leaves will dry and fall off, if lower, the flower will stop growing and the process of decay will begin in the roots. Do not forget to timely humidify the air in the room. If the topsoil has dried to a depth of more than 3 cm, you can conduct an extraordinary watering of the soil.
Diseases and Pests
A flower can get sick in 3 cases: with improper care, it gets infected from other plants, from the attack of insect pests. By the following signs, you can determine which disease affected the ficus:
- Rust - expressed in the appearance of yellow and brown spots on the surface of the leaves. The edges look burnt, and ulcers are found over time. The affected elements should be removed; healthy ones should be treated with fungicide.
- Powdery mildew - leaves are covered with small whitish spots. Processed with a solution based on copper sulfate and soda ash.
- Pithium, rhizoctonia, late blight - from this fungus the whole plant undergoes rotting. Not amenable to treatment, only disposal.
- Botritis - a dusty gray coating appears on the outside of the leaves. Removing affected areas and regular ventilation of the room will help.
- Sooty mushroom - the outer part of the foliage is covered with a black coating resembling furnace soot. Treat the whole plant with a soapy solution or fungicide, remove the most affected parts of the crown.
There are several main insect pests:
- Aphid - eats the stems and crown of the ficus, lays eggs on the inner side of the leaves. It is eliminated with the help of insecticides.
- Mealybug - parasites are covered with whitish bloom, drink the juice of the plant, which slows its growth. Vital products contribute to the development of soot fungus. Actellik will help to cope with them.
- Thrips - a small insect with wings, feed on the plant cell sap. They cause yellow or colorless spots on the leaves, after a while holes form in their place. Eliminate them through insecticides.
- Shield - males of these insects are very mobile, females, on the contrary, join the plant and are covered with a kind of shield. Eat the juice of plants. The places of their settlement are expressed in the appearance of convex yellow-red spots. You can remove them with Actellik or soapy water.
- Spider mite - a very small insect, less than 0.5 mm. The selected plant is wrapped in a spider web. It sucks the juice from the stem and leaves of the ficus, disrupts photosynthesis and destroys the structure of the flower. The affected areas of the ficus are covered with small white dots. Processing by an actress, phytoverm and sunmight removes the effects of tick activity.
REFERENCE! A solution of laundry soap has antifungal and antiparasitic properties. Able to cope with almost all types of fungi and pests.
Timely detection of diseases provides their easy elimination.
Why drops leaves in winter?
Ficus is prepared for the winter period and discards a small amount of deciduous mass, which should not exceed 20%. With the onset of spring, everything grows again. But if the fall is plentiful, you should look for reasons in another. This may be improper care, illness or pests.
What to do if all leaves have fallen?
If nevertheless this happened, it is necessary to take the following actions: eliminate all negative factors in the room that have a detrimental effect on the ficus.
- Check the temperature and humidity.
- Eliminate drafts and nearby heat sources.
- Do not move the pot with the plant.
- Check the soil and roots of the plant.
- Make sure that the lighting level is adequate.
How to save a flower?
To reanimate a pet will require diligence in performing some actions:
- Completely replace the soil in the pot.
- Sanitary pruning of dry stems.
- Moisten the trunk and crown in a solution of biofungicide.
- A week after the transplant, add top dressing to the soil.
- Ensure constant admission of fresh air and sunlight.
If leaf fall occurred in the cold season, replace only the topsoil, spray the tree several times a day with a spray bottle, increase the number of light sources and avoid drafts. As soon as spring arrives, carry out intensive therapy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Individual leaves began to dry, what should I do?
Regardless of the variety of ficus, avoid direct sunlight. Adhere to the watering regime, in spring and summer - regular, in autumn and winter - limited. The soil should dry out, but not be overdried. This will help keep the crown lush and green.
What care does a flower need?
Ficus is not good at change, so you should not change its location. To monitor the comfortable temperature in the room - in summer at least 25 ° C, in winter at least 16 ° C. Do not leave the plant on a cold windowsill, completely get rid of drafts. Maintain the necessary humidity in the room. For irrigation use soft and warm water.
After buying a ficus, does it need to be transplanted?
Shop soil is suitable exclusively for transporting the bush. A transplant should be made no earlier than 2-3 weeks after purchase in leafy soil with an acidity of 5.5-6.5 pH. Universal soil is perfect.
Before you remove the tree from the transport pot, you need to moisten the soil and gently get the root system along with adhering earth, gently tap and place in a new pot.
Despite such numerous requirements for the care of Benjamin's ficus, they are not difficult to observe with some experience. The main thing is to love an evergreen plant and respond in time to its needs. Then the pet will blossom in all its glory and will delight its owner for many years.